Madison's Birthday:

June 8, 2010

From the Word:

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart." Jeremiah 1:5

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Long Overdue Update: First Foods

So, it's been about 4 months since I last posted and while I hate it's been so long, you have to forgive me considering the circumstances that have kept me away. Life just got too hectic and there was no spare time to do anything extra- like blogging. Between Dustin's back surgery, my return to work, my overwhelming graduate school load, and parenting, time just got away. But, the holidays and snow days have allowed me to recharge my battery and now I'm ready to deliver Madison updates on a more regular basis.

In early December, right as Madison turned 6 months old, we introduced her to her first taste of "real" food. I decided a long time ago that I wanted to make Madison's food in order to give her a most healthy start to mealtime. I'll give you a run down of what I've made and her response to each.

Green beans were first...she hated them. Gagged herself and threw up (not spit-up) everywhere. Now she's used to them and doesn't mind eating them.

Then, peas...she wasn't too keen on them at first but they grew on her.

Next came sweet potatoes...YUMMY in Madison's tummy! I thought they were her favorite until...

Butternut squash...she loves it! Too bad it stains her bibs like no other.

Tried chickpeas next, you know, to give her some good protein...she refuses to eat them.

Lima beans have been the most recent addition to the menu...she tolerates them but they're no butternut squash.

Madison's reaction to her first bite of green beans.

I wanted to be sure she was good and used to the veggies before I introduced the fruits- they (meaning drs. and baby know-it-alls) say some babies refuse to eat veggies once they've had a taste of those sweet fruits. Didn't want that happening to Madison so after three weeks of veggies, we decided it was time to give her her first fruits.

Peaches were first...took some getting used to but ultimately I think she likes them.

Applesauce was next. I was so impressed that I made applesauce that looked just like the stuff you'd buy in the jar. Madison was not impressed. She gags and refuses to swallow it- she just holds it on her tongue. I think it's the texture that bothers her.

Then, we gave her mango...I would deem this her favorite fruit so far. Not sure what fruit we'll give her next.

All in all I am very happy about our decision to make Madison's baby food. It is time consuming and sometimes messy, but well worth it to know she's eating healthy and we're saving money.

It has amazed me that without having ever eaten "real" food before, she knows what she likes and doesn't like. God gave her those little tastebuds to discern her pleasing vs. unpleasing flavors. I am amazed at how her little body works and discovers things at her young age. Wish I could say I'm off to the kitchen to whip up some more yummy baby food but I'm pooped...I'm going to bed.

More updates to come...

~Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment